Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Toddler Teaching Tuesdays - A is for Apple Unit

Last week the toddler and I did an "A is for Apple" unit.  Here are some arts and crafts, songs, books, and snacks and recipes that go along and foster hands on learning and exploring.  Hope you have as much fun as we did!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Arts and Crafts


Painting an "apple" out of a paper plate and red paint.  Mix some cinnamon in with the paint, or sprinkle on top, to make it smell like apple pie...yum! (from Preschool Daze)
Apple painting from Craftbery Bush : I remember doing this in school, and the toddler is way into painting now so I think he'll really enjoy this
And while I won't be doing this with the toddler, I think it might be something I'll be doing with the 2 older kiddos...how fun!  Apple Monsters from Parents





----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are two Apple themed songs that are sung to the tune of some of the baby's favorite songs, so these are the ones we're singing this week.  Check out Everything Preschool to find these and more.

Apples Submitted by an Unknown Friend
(Sung to: twinkle twinkle)
Apple, apple tree so tall, I can hardly wait till fall!
When your apples I can pick, Fill my basket, eat them quick.
Apple, apple tree so tall, I can hardly wait till fall!

Apple, apple tree so fair, What do I see growing there!
Green and round and plump and sweet, Soon they will be good to eat.
Apple, apple tree so fair, What do I see growing there!
A Little Apple Seed 
Sub by an Unknown Friend
(Sung to: Itsy, Bitsy Spider)
Once a little appleseed was planted in the ground
Down came the raindrops, falling all around.
Out came the big sun, bright as bright could be
And that little apple seed grew to be an apple tree!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few books we've found at the local library. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the snacks we're having this week: squeezable applesauce pouches, apple juice, apple jacks (a stretch I know), apple chips, and of course, a variety of different types of apples.

We'll be using this recipe from Mommy's Kitchen to make Apple Butter in the crockpot, and will be enjoying it throughout the week as well.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking to

1 comment: