Thursday, June 23, 2011

Simple Squash Recipe

I have a brown thumb and therefore didn't attempt to grow a garden this year, however my boss did and I'm reaping the benefits without the effort (bwahahaha)! Some of my favorite summer vegetables are summer squash and zucchini. Recently I've been eating what my mom calls "poor man's squash casserole." Not really sure what makes it any different from regular squash casserole, if there is a difference, but that's what I've grown up calling it. Recently, I've also discovered Ziploc Steamer bags, which make this a million times easier.


Picture from My Recipes...I eat it too quick to take pictures, and a post with no pictures is no fun!

To Make This I Use:




  • squash and/or zucchini (I usually use 2 of each)


  • butter (1 tbsp.)


  • garlic salt (to taste)


  • onion (1/4 medium sized)


  • ritz crackers (8-10, crumbled)


  • shredded cheddar cheese (a handful or so)


  • steamer bag (optional)




  1. Slice the squash, zucchini, and onion and place in steamer bag (or however you choose to cook it) with butter and garlic salt. Place steamer bag in microwave for 3 1/2 minutes.


  2. Drain off the butter and place in a bowl.


  3. Mix in cheese and top with crushed Ritz crackers.


  4. Enjoy!
Sorry the measurements aren't exact! It always annoys me when recipes aren't exact, but now I totally understand why some people write it that way. I'm just so familiar with the recipe I don't measure anything. Really though, it'll taste good regardless of the proportions so don't worry!

It's such an easy and quick recipe, and even people who don't usually like squash have eaten and enjoyed it! The best part is it's very inexpensive, especially if you (or someone who loves you enough to give you their food) are growing the produce.






Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love summer squash. I just have a hard time finishing it because it's usually really big.

    ReplyDelete