Friday, May 13, 2011

Garden Sign

Whoohoo! Blogger is back! Know how I know?...my Google Reader EXPLODED! Yay! How fun, lots of new stuff to read! :) Also, I'm very excited about my post today, because I'm totally not a painter, and I am super excited that this project turned out so well! Even though I know it's not really "painting" per se, I did use paint to make it!

My Mom's birthday is Tuesday, so I made this sign for her out of the side of an old bookcase and some sample paint I bought when testing out colors for my kitchen (I know, I really splurged on it ;)...it's the thought that counts right!?). I painted it green, then painted the quote on it, but thought it needed something else so I used a sharpee to draw on some flowers, because I figure she'll put it out in one of her many gardens.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, but I think it might still need something, and I'm wishing now I would have just filled up the board with the flowers from the bottom instead of the other 3, but I'm not about to repaint it all! Do you think if maybe I add a couple more of the bottom flowers at the top, and if I maybe draw part of the middle flower somewhere else it might balance it out more...or should I just leave it alone? Also, I want to make this outdoor friendly...anyone know what I should put on top of it to do so?


This project was featured...how exciting! Thanks to

new link to
DIY under $5

3 comments:

  1. I think it looks great as is...can't believe you hand drew those flowers!! She's going to love it for sure, thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great work! I like it just how it is. I think Mod Podge do an outdoor sealer? Perhaps look into that or something similar? I've never tried it though :-/

    Thanks for linking this up :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic, your mum will surely love it!

    You can get outdoor clear varnish, that would seal and protect it from the weather!

    It looks perfect as it is!

    ReplyDelete