Friday, March 11, 2011

Baby Cakes

I made my first attempt at a diaper cake today for my husbands' best friends' wife (that's not a long description or anything)! It's not perfect but I think it's pretty good for a first try! The best thing was I was able to complete it in just about an hour while the baby I watch was napping!

Supplies:
  • 42 Size 2 diaper ($8)
  • 2 empty graduate cheese puff containers (already had those on hand thanks to baby mentioned before, but if not, they're about the size of a full toilet paper roll)
  • 2 Pacifiers ($1)
  • Ribbon ($2.50, still have some left over)
  • Fabric glue ($2.50, still have TONS left)
  • Silk Flowers ($1)
  • Johnson's Travel Pack, included travel size baby shampoo, body wash, lotion, baby powder, and diaper rash cream ($2.50)
  • Stuffed Animal ($1)
  • Pizza Pan ($1)
  • Baby Blanket ($1)
  • Rubber Bands ($1)

The pizza pan was for a sturdy base for the cake, and I wrapped the baby blanket around it to cover it. It's a 3 tier cake, the bottom using about 20 diapers (rolled up and secured individually with rubber bands), wrapped around the cheese puff containers to create/hold the shape. I think maybe next time I would use actual gifts for the center too, but I didn't have any on hand and I wanted to make the cake now!!! The top tier is 7 diapers so that means the center tier must be 15 diapers. I then played around with the flowers and gifts until I liked the way it looked. TAH-DAH...


Not too shabby if I do say so myself, especially for only about $20! I also have a 31 Bags thermal tote with the baby's initial monogramed on it (I thought it could be used as a diaper bag, or be placed in a diaper bag with ice pack to keep formula and food cold) and a pack of diaper wipes to go along with it, but they overpower the cake so I'll just wrap those seperately I think. So what do you think? Anything you can think of to make it better or tips you more experienced diaper cakers out there have?

No comments:

Post a Comment